Shalhevet news online: When we know it, you'll know it

Taco truck gone for now, may return next year

YUM%3A+Holy+Frijoles%2C+the+kosher+taco+truck+that+visited+the+parking+lot+last+fall%2C+has+not+been+back+this+semester.+
YUM: Holy Frijoles, the kosher taco truck that visited the parking lot last fall, has not been back this semester.

BP Photo courtesy of roaminghunger.com

BP Photo courtesy of roaminghunger.com

Jackie Faerstein, Staff Writer

First semester’s successful taco truck, Holy Frijoles, did not return for second semester because of the unfair competition it created for the lunch program.

Owned by Matthew Sieger, the truck visited Shalhevet four times during first semester. Ravenous students would end class and make their way to the parking lot, where they would wait in line to buy warm, fresh churros, taquitos, tacos and french fries. Most times when the truck came, there would be a line of waiting students, some not yet served when the bell rang for class.

Ms. Sarah Emerson, Shalhevet’s Executive Director, said it might be interesting to consider in the future, but for now it conflicted with the school’s goal of working with area kosher restaurants.

“Our vendors work with us to provide lunches that are affordable and a good amount of food for our students and a good option for our students, and it wasn’t something that our vendors would be okay with, to have competition, ” Ms. Emerson said,

She also said that when the truck came, some students would leave their lunch which they had already paid for from the school lunch program, to buy food from the truck – wasting food and money. That frustrated parents, whose kids were asking for more money though they’d already paid.

Mr. Sieger said there had not been an agreement about whether Holy Frijoles would return second semester.

But he said students also expressed that they had really enjoyed the truck, and that he and Ms. Emerson have discussed Holy Frijoles possibly catering for the school lunch program next year.

Former Executive Director Ms. Robyn Lewis, who invited the truck last fall, said the truck was meant for students who were not on the lunch program.

“The taco truck was meant as an additional option for those students who were not on the lunch program,” Ms. Lewis said.       

Students said they hoped the truck would return.

“I thought it was great food and I thought it also added some spirit to Shalhevet,” said freshman Tobey Lee.