Lindi Berman joins staff as new fundraising chief

By Nathaniel Erez, Staff Writer

The new, bright office lighting up the annex is now the office of recently hired Lindi Berman, the new Executive Director of Development and Marketing. Ms. Berman arrived Feb. 2 and works with Matt Weintraub, the current director of development, mainly on fundraising but also to educate the public about Shalhevet.

She is currently working on projects such as dedicating the Sport Court March 21 and organizing the gala dinner, set for May 1.

“People have the wrong idea about Shalhevet,” Mrs. Berman said. “I want to show people what an incredible place it is.”

Ms. Berman’s brand new office sports new paint, colorful decorations and paintings, photos, and even a small tree, all brightened by a newly installed window that overlooks the main driveway.  The room previously was part of a suite that is the office of sustainability director Dave Chamiedes, located near the end of the hallway that houses the Business Office.

Before coming to Shalhevet, Ms. Berman worked as West Coast Director for Israel Children’s Centers, a non-profit organization which raises money in the United States for the Israel Tennis Center, which helps children in Israel with social development disorders build confidence through the game of tennis. 

Though she loved her old job, Mrs. Berman is excited to work in a new environment.

“Both jobs center around children which I love,” Mrs. Berman said. “I have never worked at a school before so that is a great experience and challenge!”

Originally from South Africa, Berman found Shalhevet through two friends, both of whom are Shalhevet parents: Marci Spitzer and Esther Feder, and found the school a “unique and special place.”

“She’s been in fundraising before, is a strong believer in Jewish education, and is very passionate about what she does,” Esther Feder said about Mrs. Berman.

Mrs. Berman urges students to come to her in her office, which is located in the annex building directly across from the music room, with ideas about fundraising and is looking forward to working with them to help the school.

“My door is always open to any students who have ideas,” Ms. Berman said.