• The Boiling Point has reached its millionth online view! Thank you, readers!
Shalhevet news online: When we know it, you'll know it

The Boiling Point

The Boiling Point

The Boiling Point

CHALLENGE: Students cast ballots for nine Just Community positions in the foyer of the JCC May 14.

Micah Gill wins as Agenda Chair amid multiple controversies over election procedures

By Zev Kent, Staff Writer June 14, 2015
A bevy of controversies erupted around school elections last month, as a political party emerged hoping to reform the Just Community and last-minute decisions by Agenda were overturned by Fairness.
LEGACY: Ms. Berkey has taught literature and writing at Shalhevet for 17 years. On Tuesday, she enjoyed the last week of  her 10th Grade American Literature class.

UPDATED: Farewell to an icon as Ms. Berkey leaves for Oakwood

By Rose Lipner, Features Editor June 2, 2015

English teacher and Humanities Dean Melanie Berkey, who imbued decades of Shalhevet students with passion for film, literature and hard work, announced June 1 that she is leaving to teach at Oakwood High...

AWARDEE: Ms. Melanie Berkey won the Milken Jewish Educator Award in 2009.

Longtime English Department Chair Melanie Berkey leaves to teach at Oakwood

June 1, 2015
I write with deeply mixed emotions to inform all of you that I will be leaving Shalhevet at the end of the school year. Over the last 17 years, I have been privileged to participate in the evolving identity of the school and to work with so many incredible students and colleagues.
GUARDS:  Learning about HaShomer HaChadash, a volunteer program where people build fences out of rock to protect Jewish farmers animals

SENIORS IN ISRAEL: A deepening reservoir of questions

By Margo Feuer, Managing Editor When I thought about the senior Poland-Israel Experience during my three years at Shalhevet, “Poland” was the word that stood out to me. I’ve been to Israel numerous...

SMOKESTACK: Clearly visible from the surrounding city of Lublin, the  chimney at Majdanek jutted into a blue sky in a scene of unsettling beauty as seniors on the Poland-Israel trip approached.

Majdanek: Endless death in the heart of a city

By Sigal Spitzer, Staff Columnist May 20, 2015

“With your permission, a quick moment of silence until we reach our final destination,” said Yonatan, our tour guide, en route to Majdanek. I didn’t think the moment of silence would last until...

GODS ABSENCE: One barracks at Majdanek is filled with thousands of shoes taken from prisoners as they arrived.

SENIORS IN POLAND – At day’s end, ‘I sang because I can’

By Shana Chriki, 12th grade Shoes. Millions of shoes clumped together, they looked like one. Big shoes, women's shoes, kid's shoes and baby shoes. As I stared at the tiny shoe in the box...

ELECTION RESULTS: Vote totals

May 15, 2015

Below are the top two finishers for each two- and three-way contest in yesterday's Just Community elections.  For positions with four or more candidates,  the top three vote-getters are listed. Agenda...

CHALLENGE: Students cast ballots for nine Just Community positions in the foyer of the JCC May 14.

Micah Gill elected Agenda Chair for 2015-16

By Rose Lipner, Features Editor May 15, 2015

Micah Gill has been elected Agenda Chair for next year. Agenda Chair: Micah Gill Agenda Vice-Chair: Alec Fields Agenda Secretary: Rosie Wolkind Fairness Co-Chairs: Jacob Dauer and Jonah Gill SAC...

OUTSIDE: Freshman Rosie Wolkind rehearsed a scene from Barts Birthday Bash in the driveway of the Fialkov home. Four scenes were set outdoors, so rain cancelled Thursdays opening night performance.

Opening night of spring drama production cancelled because of rain

By Rebecca Navon, Staff Writer May 7, 2015

Opening night of the student-produced spring drama production, Bart's Birthday Bash, was cancelled yesterday afternoon because of expected rain, and the performance was rescheduled to 4:30 this Sunday,...

HELPFUL: Daniel Schwartz converses with sophomore Ephraim Drucker in the JCC foyer.

Daniel Schwartz, first special needs employee, joins school staff

By Jordan Fields, Staff Writer May 6, 2015
On a Wednesday in February, Daniel Schwartz was sitting in the principals’ office on the third floor patiently typing -- one finger at a time -- on a computer that showed an Excel spreadsheet.
MESSAGE: Students and Judaic Studies teacher Mrs. Ruthie Skaist, fourth from left, together 
analyzed a poem written by a Holocaust survivor.

With readings, Yom Hashoah program builds empathy through narrative

By Benjamin Zaghi, Ninth Grade May 5, 2015
The JCC auditorium was quiet last Thursday as an elderly man spoke of a childhood spent criss-crossing the world.
MEMORIES: Above, students explore Soviet-themed decor in Ms. Malikov’s math classroom April 1. Guard towers and the Soviet flag were supposed to be a tribute, but brought back terrible memories for the teacher

Soviet-themed tribute brings unexpected heartbreak to teacher, then students, at Senior Prank

By Zev Kent, Staff Writer May 3, 2015

An otherwise harmless senior prank took a hurtful turn when 12th-graders paying tribute to Math teacher Mrs. Katia Malikov decorated her classroom with unexpectedly painful images of the Soviet Union where...

Load More Stories

Comments (0)

All The Boiling Point Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest